Subject: RE: [Leica] Need help with a Family Reunion!
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:42:19 -0400

There are really only a couple of things I can suggest, Rob:

First, give a great deal of thought to the meaning of the event before it
occurs: Why is the family doing this? What will it mean to future
generations? What will people want to remember? What might be visually
interesting? What might a stranger want to see?

Second, try your damndest - and this is really hard - to view the event and
shoot it as an outsider might: the more you can separate your personal
emotional baggage from your shooting, the better the work will be from a
documentary point of view.

Third, always keep in mind that the only things that show up on film will be
those sights you see through the viewfinder. The person looking at your
prints will not know what someone said just before you released the shutter,
won't know what music was playing, what food was cooking, etc.

And finally - GET CLOSE.:-)

B. D.