Subject: Re: [Leica] Need help with a Family Reunion!
From: Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 08:17:34 +1000

Thank you for the very prompt reply and the thought you have put into it.

> There are really only a couple of things I can suggest, Rob:
>
> First, give a great deal of thought to the meaning of the event before it
> occurs: Why is the family doing this? What will it mean to future
> generations? What will people want to remember? What might be visually
> interesting? What might a stranger want to see?

This is all good advice, and it is reminiscent of the way we must think at a
wedding! It just requires me to adjust my usual "portrait mode" thinking.

> Second, try your damndest - and this is really hard - to view the event and
> shoot it as an outsider might: the more you can separate your personal
> emotional baggage from your shooting, the better the work will be from a
> documentary point of view.

Probably the most difficult part of the exercise....

> Third, always keep in mind that the only things that show up on film will be
> those sights you see through the viewfinder. The person looking at your
> prints will not know what someone said just before you released the shutter,
> won't know what music was playing, what food was cooking, etc.
>
> And finally - GET CLOSE.:-)

Thank you Master, when I have done the job I will post some for your evaluation
and a mark out of 100.
I think your advice will help me,  not only at this event, but in most of my
other work as well. I have never actually written down job descriptions, but I
think I will start right now. I will print out your list and stick it to the top
of my camera case. That way I will be prompted to check my progress every time I
reach in to change a lens.

Rob