Subject: RE: [Leica] OT printers
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:37:01 -0600

What do you mean by archival Slobodan? The term doesn't really have a
meaning in this context - do you mean a longevity of 50 years, 100 years or
200 years or 500 years like carbon pigment prints?

Just read an article on the new printers where they quote Wilhelm's tests
done for Epson quotes up to 100 years for the correct in/paper combination.
Which is fairly long (considering many archived B&W images and negatives are
now starting to deteriorate after 100 years+). Even Cibachrome will
deteriorate if it's not kept in the correct conditions, as will silver
gealtin prints. Most of the longevity figures you see for those are all
based on ideal conditions - check out Wilhelm's classic test on photographic
materials longevity.

Like most traditional photographic processes, this can probably be extended
by storage in the correct archival conditions.

With the 2200 I would expect to see some real world tests coming soon - most
users haven't had it long enough. There's a guy on the Digital BW print list
who does accelerated testing comparisons - waiting to hear from him
eventually.

tim