Subject: RE: [Leica] I See Dead People & PAW Ketchup
From: "TMitchell" <tmitchell@hekizan.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 10:54:47 -0700

Hi B.D.

Actually, based on our previous exchange taken to heart, I thought about
this image before I exposed a frame and later before I chose it for the PAW
out that week's images.  I saw the scene one day, almost took the photo but
didn't and came back the following day to expose several frames.

I'm not sure what frame of reference from which your comment arises but my
first reservation was that this image would be too much of the brute force,
sledge hammer approach, beating people over the head with what I wanted it
to say.  That is of couse, "I see dead people". All these people crowded
into a small, poorly lit space haggling over silly $10 t-shirts and $2
earrings on a bright summer day seemed very oppressive to me at the time -
automatons or maybe ants in their tunnels.

In retrospect, the image would probably have worked better if the movie
didn't exist, but then the shirt probably wouldn't either.  The other images
were simple landscapes, chosen for motion and symmetry.  This was the
message shot.  I probably need to quit looking for the message in t-shirts
as this was the second time in the PAW project...

Much appreciated as always,

T.