Subject: cranes (was: RE: [Leica] FS: fine prints)
From: "Douglas Herr"<telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:07:53 -0700

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:40:39 -0600 Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com> wrote:

> I'm no wildlife photographer, but I'm sure you
> would have loved seeing the
> tow Cranes (whooping or Sandhill...?) I came
> across the other day - stopped
> for a rest on their journey south I presume.

Tim, adult Whooping cranes are mostly white, and Sandhill cranes (and
2002-model Whooping Cranes) are kinda sand-colored.  Whooping cranes are
extremely scarce.  Cranes in the wild are very difficult to photograph even
with a 560 'cuz they're quite wary and remember from one year to the next all
the details of the fields they stop in.  There's a good wintering area in
south Sacramento County, but the best place to see/photograph wintering cranes
is Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge in New Mexico.

Doug Herr<BR>Birdman of Sacramento<BR>http://www.wildlightphoto.com