Subject: Re: Service was [Leica] Three times a charm!! Canon 1Ds
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:42:15 +0200 (MEST)

Well, I'm kind of in the same boat. I live in Sweden (and Norway
now-a-days). There isn't even a service center in Sweden. There's one in
Denmark.

Even if there were one in Sweden, it would be in Stockholm (it used to
be). I live 500 km away. Solms is further away and in Germany, but with
the EU and all there was absolutely no hassle sending my camera to Germany
rather than anywhere in Sweden.

But imagine if they did have well-qualified staff all over the world ...
just imagine how much the prices of cameras would be jacked up to finance
that kind of service. It costs a lot to keep a qualitfied technician happy
and on the job.

I see no problem with sending things to Germany, if it's not right next
door, well ... it's all a trip to the post office.

Otherwise we're lucky. Good Hasselblad service, Nikon service (a choice of
at least two, one local), good Minolta, Pentax ...

Take care!
Daniel