Subject: Re: [Leica] A tree falls in Natchitoches
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:43:47 -0600

Actually they do not know how a tree gets water from the roots all the
way up. There are two main theories of which transpiration is currently
in vogue. Transpiration is supposed to be the engine that "sucks" the
water up. The other theory involves the roots pumping the water up.
However there is no actual proof either way and it would not surprise me
to find out we are wrong on both counts. At times it amazes me how much
we do not know about seemingly simple life forms we take for granted.

John Collier