Subject: Re: [Leica] R9 - flash details
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 08:55:09 -0400

- --On Saturday, September 21, 2002 9:29 PM -0700 Marc Attinasi
<marc@attinasi.org> wrote:

> I'll bite too: Check the E-TTL flash metering of Canon, and Nikon's
> super-sophisticated matrix / distance coupled flash metering. They flash
> a dozen or so super fast flashes, read the reflections in the matrix,
> compute the distances, and adjust for a 'perfect' flash exposure. That
> is, to my understanding, the cutting edge of flash technology, and I
> don't see that in the flagship Leica (but then I don't have an R8 or R9,
> though I can read)

I don't see them in the Nikon or Canon *cameras* either -- I see them in
the dedicated, propriatary flash units combined with the the matching
dedicated, propriatary wireless controller from the same company.

Leica doesn't have its own sophisticated dedicated flash or wireless
controller, but you can do basically the same thing with multiple Quantum
T2s combined with Quantum FreeWire radio slaves, when used with Quantum's
own dedicated R8 interface.

And let's face it, if you're actually using multiple flash units on
location, the T2 is a much more versatile unit than Canon or Nikon
shoe-mount flashes.

Finally, I'm not as taken with the idea of the camera's meter trying to
figure out how I'm trying to light with multiple units as you seem to be. I
don't care whether Nikon calls it "Matrix" or whatever; how can the camera
possibly know whether I want the background one stop over, one stop under,
or the same exposure as the foreground (just to use one trivial example)?

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com
Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.