Subject: Re: [Leica] R9 - flash details
From: Phil Stiles <stiles@metrocast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:38:42 -0400

Rolfe Tessem wrote:

I don't care whether Nikon calls it "Matrix" or whatever; how can the
camera possibly know whether I want the background one stop over, one
stop under or the same exposure as the foreground (just to use one
trivial example)?

	Rolfe, the flash system is the main reason I use Nikon for weddings and
similar events. You can dial plus or minus for either the camera or the
flash. Bright person against dark background? (This is a popular look
for the celebrity portrait.) Set the camera -2 stops, set the flash +2
stops, Viola! Perfectly exposed subject against a darker background. One
of the keys to the Nikon system is the "D" lens, that tells the camera
how far away the subject is. I've done A and B tests with "D" and non
"D" lenses, matrix vrs. TTL. Take a person outside at twilight. The
Nikon system gives a natural look, background and subject both well
exposed.  Averaging TTL systems give burned out faces against a very
dark background. Also, rather effortless flash fill in daylight. With
100 speed film, the 1/250 flash sync, and dial in compensation, you get
a look that doesn't even look as if flash were used, but the shadows are
open, and there's a slight catchlight in the eyes.
	Sorry to run on, I use both Leica M and Nikon. When it comes to flash,
Nikon's the one.
	Regards,
	Phil Stiles NH USA

Replies: Reply from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> (Re: [Leica] R9 - flash details)