Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Response to Mid-life crisis ????
From: "Jack Herron" <jherron@theriver.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 12:43:19 -0700

Henry,
    A certain amount of post retirement depression is common.  Retirement
tends to result in a bit of isolation, and one lacks feedback from other
opinions.  Look at what happened to Howard Hughes when isolated from
feedback.  In this case you are letting this particular environment possibly
shift your judgement.  I think you need to post some of your work so the
group can help you evaluate it.  Choose some of the best shots, one or two
you find average as well, and heed the comments.  Given your recent
retirement, it could be that your mental state is preventing an unbiased
judgement of the work.
    I have personally noted that going back over old proofsheets has
garnered some very good shots which were ignored at the time.  There may be
gold in the old work.  Get Feedback, here or elsewhere, then re-examine
your previous work, you may be pleasantly surprised.
    It is also true that few of us can return to an activity somewhat
abandoned for decades and instantly come up to speed.  Application,
practice, and exposure to feedback may work wonders.  B.D.'s comments have
merit as well.
Jack

Jack C. Herron
8118 E. 20th St.