Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Truly upon us?
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 05:38:06 -0700

> what am i doing wrong? how do you guys eke out that last bit of quality
> from scanning?

Digital imaging technology obviously has come a long way in only a few years
but you must consider the post-capture processing involoved.  A high-end
digital camera has embeded in its chips the total experience of digital
processing experts, while with photoshop I often feel like I'm just a fool
with a tool.  You're comparing your experience with Photoshop vs. the
expertise embedded in the D30's post-capture processing algorithms.

> I don't think this has anything to do with using a 2900 dpi
> scanner - i believe even with a 4000 dpi scanner i'm going to be seeing
> the same results.

I see a HUGE difference between my 2400 dpi scans and a 5000 dpi drum scan.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com