Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Truly upon us?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 07:10:46 -0600

I completely agree with your experiences and conclusions though I do
think you should take your favourite negs down to your local scanner
store. Get a few 4000 dpi TIFFs and see if that helps. Practically I
think that digital has arrived for 35mm quality. The new, and later even
newer, Cankons are putting out file sizes that are more than good
enough. Undoubtedly digital is going to replace film for most
professional applications.

Having said all that, film has a good deal of life left in it. For the
typical family, a film camera will be much less expensive to purchase
and operate and give better quality than any of the digital options. A
hundred or so will buy you a P&S with a single focal length lens which
will give excellent results. You can get the film processed
inexpensively and the resulting prints and negs will be around for a
long time. Film is easy to transport and resistant to rough handling and
temperature extremes. Pretty tough to beat.

I know of two people who lost all their vacation pictures due to
something f***ing up (their words not mine) with their digital
camera/flash cards. Next time they will bring a film camera...

John Collier

PS: Quality, quality, we don't need no stinking quality! (Still using
ultra high res Tri-X)