Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital Truly upon us?
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:10:38 -0400

Drum scanners that scan at 8k, 10k, 12k etc. per inch wouldn't exist...whose
going to pay $60k for a drum scanner that doesn't give better results than
your $500 SprintScan 4k...

For those skeptical about resolution, I strongly suggest spending a few $$
and having some DECENT WELL EXPOSED AND DEVELOPED and sharp images scanned
by on drum scanner by a competent operator.  You will then, and really only
then, understand.

It is true that for some films, (mutually exclusive) or poor development or
poor exposure, or even poor focus, diffraction limited, camera shake, mirror
vibration etc., you may reach the resolution limits of the IMAGE on the film
at quite a lower resolution.  That's not the film's fault, or the scanner's
fault...

Austin