Subject: Re: [Leica] Downloadable Erwin Puts Book
From: Jeffery Smith <JLS@runbox.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:00:18 -0500

 > Ethics work on two levels:  actual conflict-of-interest and apparent
 >  conflict-of-interest. Let us not confuse the two.

Having an arrangement that COULD result in swaying your judgement is a
conflict of interest. One cannot distinguish between a conflict of interest
that COULD and one that DOES. It doesn't imply guilt. And avoiding them is
a safeguard.

I'm not anti-Puts. Everything he has published has panned out correctly for
me. But he isn't an independent tester any more than a Leica dealer has an
independent opinion on which RF to buy.

Everyone is making way too much out of nothing here. If you think Puts is
not reliable, don't listen to him. I think he is, and put nearly $2,000 on
the line to buy a Tri-Elmar based on his recommendation. It's a great lens,
everything he said it was.

Jeffery Smith