Subject: Re: [Leica] Martin Parr
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 09:35:28 +0200

I suppose so... I do feel that repetition in photo books/essays can detract
from the impact of the whole, but I see what you're saying. Of course, it's
also a matter of personal taste.

In my case, I rate compassion in photography highly, and find Parr's mocking
and rather contemptuous view of the world disturbing. But, a terrific talent
nonetheless. Unlike a lot of snappers whose work is little more than a novel
technique, he has married his flash methods - which were so stunning when
they first appeared - to a serious program of cultural critique. I'd just
have liked to see him go much deeper in the tourism work, for instance - he
seemed to elaborate the _signs_ without really digging down to what they
signified.

Johnny Deadman has often quoted his documentary motto "go deep not wide" - I
felt that Small World was spread pretty thinly on the toast.

- -- Rob

http://www.robertappleby.com
Mobile: (+39) 348 336 7990
Home: (+39) 059 303436