Subject: Re: [Leica] Thoughts on digital and the impact on Leica
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 18:39:11 +0200

What is interesting to me - and which would seem to bear out what I queried
in a post about a week ago to BD - is that although film may have greater
scannable resolution, at a certain point you're just scanning the _film_,
rather than the scene - i.e. the grain, the structure of the medium itself.
The digital file examples posted in the review are extremely clean - I doubt
such results are possible from film scans. No doubt the lack of noise means
they can be manipulated and enlarged far better than scans.

Whether the claim is bullshit or not, the examples are pretty convincing.
Looks like one hell of a camera, although priced beyond my reach for my
present needs.

Let me say at once that I am not taking any money from Canon for saying
this, nor do I have a degree in scanner or CCD technology.

- -- Rob

http://www.robertappleby.com
Mobile: (+39) 348 336 7990
Home: (+39) 059 303436