Subject: [Leica] re: how easy/expensive is digital
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 02:54:17 -0400

Folks,

I hadn't really tried out a digital camera till yesterday. A friend needed
some shots of jewelry to post on E**y. I took 52 photos in an hour or so
with a Kodak El Cheepo, sucked them into the computer, cropped and had
Photoshop generate a thumbnail gallery, and posted them on the web for her
to copy off and use. It was all done by that evening, and cost nothing in
materials. If I'd had to shoot two rolls and scan all those mothers? ......

The color and exposure were terrible, but I think that was pilot error.
(Don't need no stinking manual.) So, it took more time Photoshopping.
Still, she's very happy with them and I'm happy it's done.

My old studio colleague does a lot of work on a digital SLR, both product
shots and models. He says anything that's going to be a little picture in a
catalog comes out just fine, and the cost advantage and speed of delivery
is unbeatable. He said, however, if the client thinks they might want to
use the shot in a bigger size than a little cut, he steers them to the
traditional 120 or 4x5.

It's a lot like the concert recordings I do. With digital tape, I can
record two hours on a $10 DAT, suck that into the computer, edit and
balance it in a visual waveform interface, and burn it to a CD, sometimes
within a few hours of the performance. A huge reel to reel analog machine
would sound better, but cost way more in tape, take longer to work with,
require more maintenance and be much harder on my back. With the technology
of that era the same job would take days, and I wouldn't have the amazing
flexibility of computer editing.

Argument for digital? Not really. Given the budget, I'd record in analog
and digital, as is done in a lot of studios. If posterity wishes, they will
have a high resolution source to use with their *finally* mature digital
medium. (SACD)

Photo-wise, the simplicity/efficiency of film as a storage medium outweighs
it's cost for stuff that really matters. And, someday, when I have a
scanner like Austin uses, the info will be there in the film to be retrieved.

Carl