Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: OT - Three things to remember when you parallel park??? - was
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 09:22:35 -0700

On 10/1/02 Jeffrey Fass  wrote:

>I might be able to figure it out myself, but...
>
>Why are they called "suicide doors?"
>
>JDF

You may remember that the rear doors on the Continental were hinged at the rear
instead of the front. So, if the car started to move you'd be scooped up and
pulled forward rather than have the force of your body tend to close the door.

I suppose there is an element of risk in this but I always found the Continental
an easy car to enter and exit the rear seat where I was stuck as a kid.

And I'll not that President Johnson had a convertible Continental that he used
to drive at high rates of speed across his ranch in Texas.

They were elegant cars.

Adam

Replies: Reply from "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: OT - Three things to remember when you parallel park??? - was)