Subject: RE: [Leica] quick lens poll.
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 16:07:48 -0400

Hi Dizel,

> > > 35/1.4 is too front-heavy
> >
> > HUH?  It's a very small lense and isn't "front-heavy" at all!
>
> Not as small as 2/35 :-)

No, certainly it isn't...but you said the 35/1.4 was "front-heavy", and it
really is not, at least to me...who uses it quite a lot.

> > > and you
> > > will rarely
> > > need that speed IMO
> >
> > My experience is the extra stop is very useful, as I shoot mostly all
> > existing light, low light.  It makes the difference between
> being able to
> > get a reasonably sharp shot, and a fuzzy shot.  You sometimes
> can't just use
> > faster film, as you also increase grain.  I can very nicely shoot with
> > either Neopan 1600 or Tri-X at 800, and get very decent shots.
>
> Yes, but Eric wrote that:
> 1.) He wants to do portraiture (which AFAIK means head shots, in
> which 35mm will
>     distort faces)
> 2.) He has relatively little money to invest

AND he also said "I shoot all available light, often indoors, occasionally
wide open with 400
speed"...

and to me, that means faster lenses.  Of course, if doesn't want to spend
the money on the faster lenses, then that's a different story.

> > There's also the depth of field issue.  If you like "bokeh",
> then the 1.4
> > will give you much better out of focus renderings, since the
> extra stop will
> > throw a significantly larger part of the image out of focus.
>
> Yes, thats true. But then, the beautifullest lens to do it should be
> Noctilux or 1.4/75 you recommended :), not a 1.4/35,

Yes, correct...that was further advice, to dump the 50 and get the 35/1.4 as
he expressed interest in that lense.  I was not suggesting the 35 at all for
portraiture, simply that it, with the 75, is a totally wonderful
combination.

Regards,

Austin

Replies: Reply from "Dizel" <webmaster@fucha.pl> (Re: [Leica] quick lens poll.)