Subject: Re: [Leica] quick lens poll.
From: "Dizel" <webmaster@fucha.pl>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 14:25:18 +0200

> > Not as small as 2/35 :-)
>
> No, certainly it isn't...but you said the 35/1.4 was "front-heavy", and it
> really is not, at least to me...who uses it quite a lot.

OK. I use mainly a screwmount body with collapsible or aluminium-mount,
lightweight Tessars, so I am not used to it :)
But you are right - you can keep heavier camera more steady.
Of course you still have to brace it against your forehead,
keep elbows close to body, etc. :-)

> > Yes, but Eric wrote that:
> > 1.) He wants to do portraiture (which AFAIK means head shots, in
> > which 35mm will
> >     distort faces)
> > 2.) He has relatively little money to invest
>
> AND he also said "I shoot all available light, often indoors, occasionally
> wide open with 400
> speed"...
>
> and to me, that means faster lenses.  Of course, if doesn't want to spend
> the money on the faster lenses, then that's a different story.

If he can, then, judging from Erwin's 1.4/35 review, he should buy it.
He will not be disappointed :)

> > Yes, thats true. But then, the beautifullest lens to do it should be
> > Noctilux or 1.4/75 you recommended :), not a 1.4/35,
>
> Yes, correct...that was further advice, to dump the 50 and get the 35/1.4 as
> he expressed interest in that lense.  I was not suggesting the 35 at all for
> portraiture, simply that it, with the 75, is a totally wonderful
> combination.

I like (as thats what I have) a 2.8/35 Jupiter 12 and 2/85 Jupiter 8 combination.
And I still make about 80% photos with 35mm - this is the focal length you,
once you learn to use it, will love forever :)

:)
- --
                                St.