Subject: Re: [Leica] quick lens poll.
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 09:06:00 -0600

The 12589 is the best hood for the 35/1.4 Asph. Let's just walk through
what should be there starting from the front of the lens where the lens
hood mounts.

- - 4 mm in, there is a raised lip with two notches, one at  90 degrees
from vertical on the right and one at 90 degrees from vertical on the
left.

- - After the lip there is a narrow groove and then the raised area with
the white aperture index dot.

The lens hood slides onto the front of the lens and covers the lenses
aperture index dot. At the side of the lens hood there are two tabs
that lock into the narrow groove. Each tab has a square nub that fits
into the notches in the raised lip on the lens. After the lens hood is
mounted, you twist the locking ring which forces the tabs into the
groove and the nubs into the notches. Now the lens hood is locked in
place and cannot be moved even with a fair amount of force applied.

That is how it should be. Possibly an attempt was made to remove the
hood without releasing the lock ring. This could break off the square
nubs which locate the lens hood and cause the troubles you are having.
You might be able to fabricate new nubs with a bit of "Krazy glue". If
not you will need to buy a new hood.

I hope this helps,

John Collier

PS: The 35/1.4 Asph is one lens that does not require a lens hood. The
concave surface of the outer element, and other things as well I am
sure, make it one of the most flare proof lenses I have ever used. I
actually seldom use the hood except where I will have a bunch of
cameras banging together during a shoot.