Subject: Re: [Leica] Help with leica lens
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 14:45:53 -0600

It is perfectly acceptable practice to use LTM adapters to mount other
lenses. Heck Leica started it when they introduced the M cameras and it
is the only way to get certain focal lengths. It also allows you to
share the same lens with both an M and an LTM system. There are three
different adapters for each of the frameline sets:

50/75 - You will only have the 50. The adapters can labeled 28 - 50 or
21- 50.
35/135 - The adapters can be labeled 135 (the M3 did not have a 35
frame).
28/90 - Most adapters are labeled 90 as the 28 frameline was not
introduced until the M4-P.

You can have the six frame mask set added to your camera if you wish to
use a 75 or 28 lens though some people like the uncluttered design of
the 3 and 4 frame finders. There are also separate finders for all the
focal lengths as well.

If you are going to buy Leica lenses, and finances is a concern (Hoi!
when is it not), consider going the used route. You save a considerable
amount of money and can sell it on for the same price if you are not
happy. The third version of the 50/2 is inexpensive and a stunning
performer. The fourth version (pre-Asph) of the 35/2 is still one of
the best 35s ever made. As mentioned before Stephen Gandy's site is a
great introduction to Leica Ms. Also, the best Leica FAQ going is:

http://nemeng.com/leica/

John Collier