Subject: RE: [Leica] OT - Traveling to Canada from US...
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 17:07:39 -0400

Hi Tim,

> I'm guessing he might find it more difficult these days, as they've
> tightened all this stuff up now post sept 11. Though I think it
> might still
> be the case that as long as he has the proper Proof of Citizenship ID
> (usually something like a birth certificate + other stuff) he may be okay.

That's the rub...I can't find anywhere that says what is acceptable as
"Proof of Citizenship"...if a driver's license qualifies.  What is that
"other stuff".  There should be a clearly defined list of what's acceptable.

The birth certificate thing scares me though.  Anyone can have a birth
certificate made up, it's not like they have your picture on them, and are
"standardized" in any way.  Cripes, talk about an open hole!

> But I would check for up to date info
>
> See if he can get hold of someone at the Canadian Embassy:
> http://www.canadianembassy.org/

I called Canadian customs, as suggested by someone else (thanks!), and they
said the expired passport was fine, at least to get into Canada.  The
airlines may have a different opinion on that, as well as was pointed out,
the US Customs on return.

> (I looked at a couple of other sites, such as VIA Rail and so on, and they
> still seemed to say the proof of citizenship route was okay).

Yes, but what is the list of what's acceptable to show "proof of
citizenship"?

Regards,

Austin

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] OT - Traveling to Canada from US...)