Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - Traveling to Canada from US...
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 20:26:52 -0700

Get used to it, because if the US continues down this jingoistic path,
you'll find that you have to carry a passport or some other sort of national
ID while traveling domestically.  I pray we never see a day when American
citizens are required to carry a national ID at all times, but I think that
day is coming.  I already carry my passport whenever I'm away from home for
any length of time as a general rule, even if it's just a few days in
Portland.

After a weekend in Victoria a few months ago, we sat in a long line of cars
waiting for immigration clearance.  It seemed that people who gave the
officer a drivers license were asked alot of questions.  When we got there,
we handed him 4 passports, which he seemed surprised to see.  "Oh, you've
got passports...great."  He gave them a quick look and waved us through.
Took all of 30 seconds.  Leo is right - a passport leaves no questions.  On
the other hand, with all the Arabic and Farsi stamps in mine...

- --Jim Laurel
Seattle, Washington, USA