Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-topic: using Nikon slidescanner under MacOS X
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:33:38 -0700

Pascal,
I have the same problem.  While I'm sure Nikon will eventually cough up the
drivers for Jaguar, it may be a while.

Here's an idea:
If you have a second machine running a Nikon Scan -supported OS, network
them together and use it as a dedicated scanning workstation.  For example,
while I cannot run Nikon Scan on my PowerMac under 10.2, it will run under
10.1.x.  My old G3 Pismo Powerbook is still on 10.1.5.

In my workflow, the Powerbook drops scans to its internal hard disk on a
shared directory, which I monitor from the G4.  As new scans are placed in
this shared directory, I pick them up and put them through post-processing
(i.e., rotate, crop, correct, create archive/catalog/web/thumbnail versionsm
etc.)  This actually works pretty well in terms of workflow, since the
scanning process consumes alot of resources.  It's nice to do the Photoshop
work on a machine that is not being burdened with scanning.  By the time you
are finished post-processing one image, the next is just being completed and
dropped off in the shared directory.

It would work just as well, if you could set up an WinNT/2K/XP machine as
the dedicated scanning workstation.  Even an older Mac or Windows machine
would do the job just fine.  Really saves alot of time.

- --Jim