Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - Traveling to Canada from US...
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:05:46 +0200

>Austin,
>
>A driver's license obviously is not proof of citizenship, since it
>does not state your nationality. When I lived in the U.S., I had at
>different times driver's licenses in New York, Florida and New
>Jersey, and none of them stated whether I was a U.S. citizen or not.
>
>If your state issues some kind of voter registration ID, then this
>may work, since you have to be a citizen to vote.

Interesting. In many countries in Europe you can vote at local
elections even without being a citizen. I vote in local Germany
election although I am a Swedish citizen becauseI have several years
of residency in Germany. As a citizen of a EU country I could also
vote in France by simply going the town hall and declare my residency
in my little village. Then I could not vote in Germany, unless I had
double residence. I have not been allowed to vote in Sweden for
decades due to non-residency.

Are you allowed to vote  in Switzerland?

Chris

>But, having crossed the U.S.-Canada border many times (although not
>in the past 7 years), I would guess that the expired passport plus a
>current driver's license or other picture ID will be enough to get
>in and out, if he is travelling by land. If he is flying, it may be
>a different story.
>
>Nathan

- --
Christer Almqvist