Subject: Re: [Leica] was Brampton Ash / now Tri-X
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:29:18 +0200

Hi Chris,

I realise that TMY and HP5+ are very different, but I was comparing
Tri-X and HP5+ which I do believe are comparable, belonging to the same
"generation" of films. Like you, I tend to standardise on one or two
films, and in the 400 range I have used Delta 400 for several years. But
sometimes I like to try one of the "old" films, and so when a local shop
had a sale on HP5+, I bought a few rolls.

Thanks for the compliment at the end.

Kind regards,
Nathan

Christer Almqvist wrote:
> Hello Nathan,
>
> I do disagree with you that Tri-X and HP5+ are basically similar. I
> think the only similarity is that the are iso 400 films.
>
> I use two (nominal) iso 400 films, HP5+ in Rodinal 1+25 and TMY in Xtol
> 1+1. These two combinations are definitely not interchangeable. TMY is
> extremely smooth and comparatively grainless, HP5 is rather harsh, but
> sometimes looking very fresh, like things look on a cold clear morning
> with the sum out. Shall I send you two scans to show what I mean?
>
> Why don't I use Tri-x? Don't know, but the main reason is that  I try a
> simplistic approach, and two 400 films is already twice as many as I use
> 100.
>
> Anyway the tonality of the pix you have posted is extremly pleasing.
>
> Chris

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland