Subject: Re: [Leica] was Brampton Ash / now Tri-X
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:48:47 +0200

Hello Nathan,

I do disagree with you that Tri-X and HP5+ are basically similar. I
think the only similarity is that the are iso 400 films.

I use two (nominal) iso 400 films, HP5+ in Rodinal 1+25 and TMY in
Xtol 1+1. These two combinations are definitely not interchangeable.
TMY is extremely smooth and comparatively grainless, HP5 is rather
harsh, but sometimes looking very fresh, like things look on a cold
clear morning with the sum out. Shall I send you two scans to show
what I mean?

Why don't I use Tri-x? Don't know, but the main reason is that  I try
a simplistic approach, and two 400 films is already twice as many as
I use 100.

Anyway the tonality of the pix you have posted is extremly pleasing.

Chris

>Graham,
>
>Your scans are incredibly smooth, considering that you use a
>relatively grainy film. I have been playing with HP5+ recently and
>my results are not nearly as nice. Since the two films are basically
>similar, I would like to know your details of processing and
>subsequent scanning of the film.
>
>Cheers,
>Nathan

- --