Subject: [Leica] Re: upgrading to new scanner
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 09:21:07 -0700

jules writes:

 > my coolscan LS-2000 which i've had since 1998 is no longer focusing and
 > rather than spend the $250 to get it fixed (i've had it fixed 2 times
 > for various problems) i think it's time to look at the Super Coolscan
 > 4000ED.
 >
 > does anyone on this list own one?  is GEM all it's cracked up to be?  is
 > this scanner "the bomb" (other than of course the 8000 :)
 >
 > or should i consider something non-nikon instead?

I have one, it generally works.  I suspect that I'm frequently the
limiting factor, but that just gives me room for improvement.

I alternate between driving it with Ed Hamrick's Vuescan and with
Nikon's Nikonscan.

The only real issue that I've seen is with scanning negative film,
where it clips the histogram at the dark shadow end.  This link gives
a better description of the problem.

http://www.marginalsoftware.com/LS8000Notes/autoexposure_not_working.htm

It's possible to adjust the analog gain and move the histogram over,
but it still has the sharp clipping.  The "scan as positive and invert
yourself" technique discussed above works but it ugly.  Vuescan
doesn't have this problem.

I've never used GEM, but ICE is nice for C-41 and E-6 films.

g.

Replies: Reply from "faneuil" <leica_korenman@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: upgrading to new scanner)