Subject: Re: [Leica] A couple of candids
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 13:43:55 -0700

Alastair, my Leica lust thanks you.  My wallet does not. . .   :-)

Seriously, the pre-Asph 35 Summicron-M is all you could ask for at f/2.8
and smaller, unless you're of the Tech Pan and Tripod crowd.  Wide open,
it's a little softer than the 50/2 at f/2--enough to know it's a wide-open
shot, but a lovely quality under some circumstances.  The 'Lux ASPH is just
plain incredible--in available light with 400-or-faster film, you don't
know it's wide open except for the depth of field.  If I wan't an available
light hound, I wouldn't covet the 'Lux.  Since I am, I do.

The price you pay with the 'Lux is visibly harsher, wirier bokeh.  Whether
or not bokeh exists or is important, and whether or not human life begins
at conception, is left as an exercise for the reader. . .   :-)

- --Peter

Replies: Reply from Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au> (Re: [Leica] A couple of candids)