Subject: Re: [Leica] [No Subject]
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:35:08 -0700

Alastair Firkin wrote:

> >Greetings to all,
> >
> >I am new to this list so please forgive me if this has been discussed before.
> >I am a relatively new Leica owner (M6 TTL) and would like to invest in more
> >equipment.
>
> Invest? Its more of an infection ;-)
>
> >  I hear people love the M3 and that it is a tough use camera.
>
> Great camera, but almost 50 years old now. Anyone you buy will need a
> CLA, and they are expensive because of the "collector" influence, but
> don't expect to make money yourself: Unless you are very lucky, we
> who feed at the Leica virus "provide" the $ not make them.
>
> >Anyway, my question is if anyone is familiar with or has dealt with
> >Collectcamera.com.  They seem to have some older cameras in good condition and
> >according to their website they specialize in Leica and Rollei equipment.
> >Just wondering.  Thanks for your help.
>
> Sorry no, but there is a lot of good equipment sold here if you hang around
>
> Cheers
> --
> Alastair Firkin

Much of the attraction from a functional standpoint was the close to 1:1 viewing.
Now you can get an M6 or 7 with a .85 viewing and screw in a 1.25
magnifier thing and you've got darn close to 1:1 viewing.
In other worlds you look through the camera everything does not get
small. You can keep both eyes open better.

The reason why I didn't get an M3 at the beginning as my first body
because of the rewind. Now you can have Richard Wasserman put his crank
on and it is much more functional.
http://www.cameraquest.com/LMRewind.htm
You feel like a photographer changing a roll of film not a collector
twiddling with his latest asset…

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com