Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm lenses -- Summicron or Elmarit?
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:06:09 -0400

If you don't need the speed then the current Elmarit 2.8 can be had very
cheaply: I paid $500 for one as new old stock NOS.  Meaning all the tags and
warranty.  It is a very fine lens indeed, quite contrasty out to the
corners.  I have the Summicron and I prefer the lenses discussed below if
you want or need F2.  Unless someone makes you a real deal on an older
Elmarit or Tele-Elmarit(meaning around $200) I would pass on these models.

Now, if budget is really a concern then look for the Japanese knock-offs of
the Zeiss Sonnar.  You can find 85 Serenars in very good to excellent
condition as low as $100; usually in the $180 range.  The 85 Nikkors tend
higher in price.  Good crisp rendition at F2 in the center third.
Outstanding performance by F4.  Compared to the current Leica offerings you
will notice a little less contrast and an absence of really fine detail.
This you won't see unless you take the same image side by side.

Alternatively, the offerings from Konica have a really good reputation and
are spoken of highly by some members on this list.

So, if $500 is not too much outlay then the current 90 Elmarit would be my
choice.  If you would rather spend the money elsewhere, then the current
Konica or one of the 1950's Japanese offerings would be great choices.  Or,
buy the Japanese offering, make money with the lens, then turn on it and buy
the 90 AA which is worth every penny; the sharpest plane of focus and
rendition of extremely fine detail that must be seen to be believed.  Erwin
has it right when he talks about craftsmanship as the limiting factor.

Good luck, any of the lenses discussed can provide great images, you won't
go wrong any way you go.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com