Subject: RE: [Leica] Yoicha Okamoto
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:29:48 -0400

I do indeed remember Yoicha Okamoto, who if memory serves me was LBJ's White
House photographer. AND, of more interest to folks in D.C., I also seem to
recall that he was one of the founding partners who established a B&W
pro-lab in the 1700 block of Pennsylvania Ave. NW called Images...They did
great work, and were still there and functioning at least as late as 1980
when I left town - can't tell you about anything after that.

As to later WH photographers - site lines may be an issue, but I think there
are two more important issues...
Real WH photography began with JFK - then LBJ had a photographer with great
access, and so on...we've been looking at these sorts of images now for more
than 40 years...all of a The President, in his office, and in other WH
offices and on AF1, meeting with staff...the faces change, the situations
remain the same...so there has to be a sense of...'seen that before...'
Also, there is more than a possibility that some of the photographers were
not the world's best, and may not have been inspired by what they were
doing...

B. D.