Subject: [Leica] Leica: Pictures of whaling in Indonesia
From: "Sander van Hulsenbeek" <vanhulsenbeek@wxs.nl>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:15:06 +0200

(2nd posting)

Dear LUGgers,

During our adventurous visit to Indonesia last August (yes, we were in the
Sari Club in Bali), we were by mere chance able to visit and see the
villagers of
Lamalera, in East Indonesia) catch whales.

I realize whaling is a touchy subject, but the Whaling Convention allows
subsistence whaling in a few places in the world, mainly in the Arctic
regions. Indonesia is not
a member, but the way the Lamalera people provide for there livelihood would
sure fall under
the Convention.

The lamalera people only catch whale, and manta and sharks, for food and
oil, and never
sell it for money. There is a barter-only market for the neighborhood
villages.
Without this catch they would perish.

Witnessing this event ( happening only 20 times, approx., per year) was a
sobering and also frightening experience. Accidents do happen!

Some pictures would certainly qualify as mere snapshots. Nevertheless I
think the LUG is interested is seeing something quite different from
everyday life in
our cozy and comfortable (?) North America and Europe. There is another
world
outside guys!

Have a look (Picture Section) and comment please.

(And yes, I am a Greenpeace contributor and yes, it took us weeks to get
over this experience. But shutting one's eyes to reality has never been a
good idea, even for
ostriches!)

Best regards

Sander van Hulsenbeek