Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica: Pictures of whaling in Indonesia
From: Tomoyuki Kumagai <tkumasan2@netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:04:19 +0900

Mr Hulsenbeek

# to all who remembers me...
# been away from the list for some time, but now I am back.

I enjoyed the photos. I am no professional so I would like to say some
comments about the subject first.

As a Japanese, when I grew up eating whale meat. It was part of our
culture where we did not have custom of eating meat other than fish
whales where one of good sources of protein, I have heard one whale was
enough to feed one villege, it was just a part of natural Food Chain.

Not anymore, thanks to all industrialists probably including modern
Japan who killed them for oil and in such a large scale that came to
threaten their survival as a species... they are the victims of
industrialzation, not whale eaters.

It is wrong to blame on them, but for on us in this part of the world.
BTW you can blame on Japanese whale hunters who claim to do so for
research because I think they are cheating.

Hope some day the whale's population on this planet comes back to normal
that I get to taste soft and ironish black meat of whales... without
guilt. :)

At the same time, we Japanese no longer need whales as one way of
aquiring protein because we became so accostom to eat beefs and porks,
but that does not necessarily mean becoming civilized.

I enjoyed the landscapes and people on the ship. It seems that the whole
  villege involves with this hunting. Probably they were how my people
used to look like in a couple of centuries ago. I like the idea but I am
too used to the world of indivisualism that I probably would not feel
comfortable in there.

I wish some picture you shot at the actualy scene of hunting have been
taken using longer focals and eliminated extra waters and skies, that I
could see the hunter's muscles and splashes and such in a closer look.
Its just my opinion.

Tom Kumagai