Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: web sizing images
From: "Stuart Phillips" <stuart.phillips@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:56:04 -0500

Actually monitors vary; 72ppi was the figure for the original mac. In that
machine the screen was in the computer so it didn't matterwhether it was an
OS setting or a browser setting. PPI is defined by system software (in a
Windows machine in the control panel - increase the screen resolution and
the pixels shrink to get the info on the screen) - and ignored by browsers.
If you choose 72ppi  (it's more like 96 on many other monitors but for
specialized graphics monitors it can be 300+, I believe) you're basically
saying that you want what you're working on to appear about the same size on
other people's monitors that it is on your. When you optimize to save for
the web, you are usually restricting the color palette you're working with
not shrinking pixels, so in ImageReady for example you don't choose the
pixel resolution.
At least that's how I understand it! Or half understand it, maybe.