Subject: [Leica] Re: Vuescan (WAS: Follow-up OT Nikon LS-2000 under MacOS X)
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 06:15:03 +0100

Carl Pultz wrote:

> I agree. I find there is better rendition of both extremes of the
> brightness range with Vuescan and an easier means of controlling how the
> sw places the white and black points. Is that your experience, Nathan?

Yes. And also, when I have scanned the same B&W negative with Vuescan
and Nikon scan, and then look at both in Photoshop at 100%, then the
Vuescan scan was visibly sharper (without any manipulation).

> I think color is closer to correct on those programs, for Reala anyway.
> I have to do heavy correction in Photoshop to what the Vuescan white
> balance usually renders. Still the final result is better, and I use the
> processing time to read the LUG digest.

I never use C41 films, and find that for slides the Nikon Scan and
Vuescan are about equal, except for Kodachrome where Vuescan is better.
The biggest difference in performance is in B&W IMO, and that is the
main reason I use Vuescan.

Finally, I have to confess that I like the idea of supporting a small
software company, which makes a good product for $40 and where my
e-mails with questions are always answered promptly and competently.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland