Subject: Re: [Leica] Blasphemy? Leica "O" lens on a Leica Ia?
From: Dr.Alexander.Kraus@gmx.de
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:21:49 +0100 (MET)

To my knowledge, the lens in the Leica 0-series is a completly new (4
element Tessar) design, as is the current collapsible Elmar-M 2,8/50mm.
Unlike in the original lenses, the aperture is now located behind the second
element and not behind the first element. The older construction had the
advantage that after stopping down, the excess of light is blocked *before*
entering the complex part of the lens with its 6 air-glass-surfaces.
In the classic Tessar design however, the excess of light can already bounce
between 4 air-glass-surfaces causing flare *before* being cut-off by the
aperture. Of course, with todays modern multi coatings this is not much of an
issue any more.
I would have preferred an exact copy of the original 5 element Anastigmat
lens...
Best regards from Germany,
Alex