Subject: [Leica] Report: Digital photos not bumping film (fwd)
From: Lee <leeh0@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:31:22 -0800 (PST)

Report: Digital photos not bumping film
By David Becker
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
October 29, 2002, 1:53 PM PT
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-963770.html

Despite rapid growth in sales of digital cameras,
consumers are using film as much as ever,

according to a report released Tuesday by research
company IDC.

The company's "2002 Image Bible" estimates that
worldwide this year, 78 billion digital

images will be captured and shared via cameras,
scanners and mobile devices. About 25 billion

of those images will be printed.

That compares with more than 100 billion images
captured on film being printed, a number that

has remained stable for several years.

IDC analyst Chris Chute said the upshot is that
consumers are using digital cameras for

immediate gratification and for e-mailing snapshots to
grandma. But they turn to film for

images they want to preserve on paper. A total of 77
percent of digital camera owners still

use film, and more than half use film cameras more
often than digital, according to the IDC

report.

"They each fulfill a need," Chute said. People use
digital "because it's easy to share the

images...With film, printing is pretty much a killer
app in terms of being (widespread),

inexpensive and easy to use."

Chute said he expects the balance to shift slowly
toward digital as camera makers,

photofinishers and others come up with systems that
make it easier to order and retrieve

prints of digital images.

"We think that maybe by 2004 or 2005, we're going to
see a critical mass of machines that

allow the user to get digital prints the same way they
do film," he said. "But even then,

it's not going to be an overnight thing. Film use is
going to be on this very shallow,

sloping line over the next 30 or 40 years."

Efforts such as CPXe show promise, Chute said, but
rival systems may emerge. CPXe is an

industry-developed push to create a standard directory
and software for ordering digital

prints from local photo shops.

"I think it's a good promotional effort as far as
bringing an awareness to the issue," Chute

said of CPXe. "But there could be renegades like Sony
who get their own critical mass going.

It doesn't really matter to the consumer, as long as
it's easy to use and inexpensive."