Subject: Re: [Leica] moon shots?
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:01:38 -0800

At 8:16 AM -0800 10/30/02, Bill Clough wrote:
>Steve--you are shooting a subjust lit by full sunlight.
>Therefore, the exposure for shooting a full moon, for
>instance, is the same exposure you would use to shoot a
>full-daylight exposure on earth.
>
>If, for instance, you are shooting a E.I. 200 film, you
>would shoot a mountain range under full sunlight at 1/250th
>@ f16. The same is true of the full moon--for detail of the
>moon itself, start at 1/250th @ f16.
>
>--Bill Clough

Basically all true, except that we often shoot the moon when it is
close to the horizon. The closer it is to the horizon, the darker it
is. Depending on the pollution/clarity of the atmosphere, it can be 2
to 6 stops darker or even more. Usually two stops minimum just over
the horizon.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design