Subject: Re: [Leica] Holiday pictures and pros v amateurs.
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:18:04 -0800

Ian Watts wrote:
>> I can't help but think that life is a bit too short not to show
> somebody the small courtesy of having  a quick look through the holiday
> snaps when asked.<<<<

Hi Ian,
Quite true and I rarely refuse unless I'm deep into my own shooting at the
time of asking. Then I let it be until they ask later, when I'm not wired
into the assignment.

However, trying to be polite and giving of oneself  has led to some terribly
boring 2 or more hours looking at holiday slides of "here we are standing at
the Kremlin Wall and every other location the presenter and his/her spouse
went."

One sometimes has to refuse even on the possibly life may end the next day,
for either party, simply because as happens with me a professional, the
holiday offerings can be down right ghastly and time consuming and no matter
how polite I want to be it can become a very depressing event.

Having said that, I do make every effort to look, prints are easier as you
can flip through them quickly. But watching a slide show means you're locked
down to watch the "whole damn thing" :-) And the only good part is you're in
the dark and the presenter rarely looks at your eyes as you attempt to keep
from crying! ;-)

Although I must say, any slide holiday snap event preceded by a glass of
Lagavulin Single Malt Scotch can become a fine and smiling event!
Particularly at the intermission tray change, they fill 'er up one more
time! :-)
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant