Subject: [Leica] Initial impressions of a Noctilux neophyte
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:58:26 -0700

I must confess with all the hullaballoo over the Noctilux I was rather
expecting something about the size of a football and weighing at least
ten pounds. Much to my delight the Noctilux is smaller than the Nikon
85/1.4 AF-D and about the same weight. Mine has the separate shade and
viewfinder obstruction is minimal – keeping in mind that viewfinder
obstruction has never been an issue for me as I am not that bright and
do not notice it in practice YMMV. The other interesting thing is that,
while f/1 is two stops more than f/2, it is not the end all and be all.
I was photographing by street lamp and using f/1 and 1/8 with 400 ISO
film. If it is dark, you will have to push your film period. It may be
king of the night but only if it is a rather well lit night :-)

What the Noctilux does give you is the opportunity to use selective
focus techniques normally associated with long lenses, not normal
lenses. It is simply amazing what this lens can throw out of focus. I
like the 50 point of view and may find this a useful feature.

The Leica gods give and the Leica gods take away. The 1 meter close
focusing limit is very noticeable to me as I have always used short
focal length lenses and have become used to 0.7m. I now find myself
backing into walls a bit more than I would like. This will be the key
issue for me. If I am unable to adapt, I will probably switch to the
latest 50/1.4 or 75/1.4.

The usual inability of Leica to design a clip on lens cap that actually
stays on is also ably displayed by this lens. I do not use hoods or
filters but I cap the lens between shots (a bit Brickian I admit). All
too often with a camera slung over my back, I hear the "sproung"  of
the cap unclipping followed closely by it clattering to the ground. I
have found this with my 21A, 35A, 90AA and now the 50/1 too. Why does
Leica have the cap so much bigger in diameter than the lens? A bit
silly if you ask me...