Subject: [Leica] M6 0.85 finder problems
From: Martin Jangowski <martin@jangowski.de>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 12:21:37 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

after several years of "stamp-sized negative" bashing I recently couldn't
resist any longer and bought a like-new M6-TTL with the 0.85 finder and a
Summicron 2/90.

A few days ago, I took it for a first test ride. We had a big family
meeting on Nov. 1th, so I took my faithful Mamiya 7 with the 4/80mm lens
and the M6. I intended to make totals and group photos with the Mamiya and
take portraits with the M6. The meeting was at the cemetery where our
ancestors are buried, there were 8/8 clouds, ideal for portraiture in the
open.

After using the Mamiya 7 (and the Mamiya 6) for a few years now, the Leica
was not very different. Since the light didn't change, I took a incident
reading with a Gossen lightmeter and ignored the builtin light meter of
the M6, using Delta 400 in the Mamiya and Fomapan 100 in the M6. Switching
between cameras for totals and detail shoots was easy, but one thing was
_really_ annoying: while the Mamiya finder is bright and the focusing is
very easy, the focusing spot of the Leica was very often unusuable.
Especially when using the camera in portrait orientation, the center spot
got very bright and didn't show any details, making distance measurement
impossible. I have to wear glasses and had to move the eye into a very
specific position to be able to focus correctly. The Leica films show a
large percentage of negatives with wrong focusing (sometimes completely
off...). Ok, the 90mm Summicron was used wide open at 1-2m distance, and
the zone of sharpness is much narrower than I had expected, but I never
had so much bad focused pictures before. The Mamiya finder didn't ever
showed such a problem... am I too dumb to use a Leica correctly, is this a
general Leica problem or could this be a problem with this specific
camera?

Martin

| Martin Jangowski                         E-Mail: Martin@Jangowski.de|
|                        Netzwerke und Multimedia                     |
| Voice: +49 7946/940790                         Fax: +49 7946/940791 |
| Snail Mail: Von-Olnhausen Str. 4            74626 Bretzfeld Germany |

Replies: Reply from Dr.Alexander.Kraus@gmx.de (Re: [Leica] M6 0.85 finder problems)
Reply from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] M6 0.85 finder problems)