Subject: Re: [Leica] How to separate 135mm f/4 Elmar-M lens-head?
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:44:45 -0800

>Ray, if it is anything like the DR or the 90 Elmar then the lens head
>unscrews just above the focusing mount.  Lefty-loosey just like a proper
>thread.  So, I would just grab the focusing mount firmly with one hand and
>the aperture ring and the surrounding lens with the other and see if it
>unscrews.  Once you overcome the initial stiffness of disuse it should
>unthread nice and smooth.  Obviously, if at first it doesn't budge then it
>is time to rethink the matter instead of reaching for the vice-grips.
>
>Don
>dorysrus@mindspring.com

On the other hand, if it doesn't budge, vise-grips do work (I don't
know about vice-grips, as I'm not into that sort of stuff, being
happily married for many years :-)). I once had a problem with a
Hektor 135, and it came apart nicely when the vise-grips were applied
with some cloth padding to take the sting out. It was probably only
the proximity of the pliers that was needed to convince Hektor, but
he saw the light of day.

Don is right; just grab it and twist. There should be a small indent
line visible when the lens is racked out to minimum distance; that
will be the separation point.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design