Subject: Re: [Leica] Decisions, decisions: Brooks Veriwide vs. RF 21mm vs. ?
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 19:05:41 -0800

>???
>
>Not hypothetical; assuming that they cost the same, would you buy
>
>(a)	A 21mm lens for use on a Leica-style rangefinder;
>(b)	A user Brooks Veriwide 100 (6x9, 47mm f/8 Super-Angulon); or
>(c)	A 21/2.8 SLR lens
>
>Assume that I have enlargers to cover all of them, and bodies to fit
>each of the accessory lenses.

Depends on what you want to do with them. In the street, for fast
shooting, a) wins, especially if you might be carrying other RF
stuff. If you are carrying SLR stuff anyway, and would like precise
composition and framing, c) wins. If you want to make large prints,
don't mind the additional film and processing costs, small number of
prints per roll, slow lens (the SA 47/8 needs to be stopped down to
f/16 for good coverage and performance) and possible purchase of a
center filter to cure the light falloff, get b). I have all three
options, and none wins all the time.

For the same money you could also get a rotating lens panoramic in
35mm. Ease of use, film costs, enlargeability etc all in between b)
and the other two.

If, as another poster has mentioned, the cost of the Veriwide is
around $1500 then there are a lot more options, and the Veriwide
doesn't make sense as a shooter.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design