Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Neopan 1600 developers
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 23:42:07 -0500 (EST)

paragraph VII, page 14 of  A&T (c) 1999:

    Neopan 1600 is an interesting film. It appears to be an ISO 400 film
    with as much gelatin and hardener removed as possible.  This allows
    the film to be developed for a shorter time with a slight gain in speed.
    The true speed of this film is close to EI 650, and the tonal scale
    is similar to Tri-X.  However, it responds well to pushing.

my comment: the beauty of analog is that we can all have our interpretations
of what works for us!

- -rei

> From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
>
> Not trying to be contentious, Rei, but i thought i knew my A&T backwards
> and forward could you give me a page number on that Neopan being a
> modified 400 ASA film and really being 640-800? This destroys my world!
>
> A lot of people i know are shooting it at 1600 and got having any
> problems with thin shadows at all!

> Rei Shinozuka wrote:
> >
> > i think anchell and troop actually rate neopan 1600 at 640-800, saying its
> > basically a modified 400ASA film.  my only problem with NP 1600
> > is for DX cameras like my T2 and T3, i need to get those DX sitckers.
> > i know you can dial in exposure compensation to do the same, but i'm a
> > purist and i don't want to have my t3 always have a [+] sign in its LCD.
> > so i carry a few DX stickers in my T3 outfit (and you can reuse them with
> > a little care).  i also have 1600 stickers for when  i use D3200.
> >
> > -rei

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey