Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Lenswork Magazine
From: "James A. Gatlin" <jagatlin@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 10:52:52 -0800

Tina:

Great point.... and yes, I had looked at Webster and saw that definition
also. I think the way the word is tossed around and used however, is quite
different than the Webster definition. Generally speaking, I think most
people have a negative reaction to the word propaganda. If something is
viewed as being propaganda, people take a cautious or skeptical stance.
"Tokyo Rose" was propaganda, but "Bob Hope and the USO shows" were morale
builders. But under Webster's definition, both were clearly propaganda...
Tokyo Rose wanted to "injure" morale, while Bob Hope wanted to "help"
morale. Yet, I doubt anyone would describe the USO efforts of WWII as...
propaganda.. because of the negative light attached to the term.

So.... in view of the Webster definition... and the loose use of the
word.... I will view your, and Lang's work, as simply..... GREAT WORK!!!
And leave the labels to those who need them.

:-)

Jim

J.A. Gatlin Photography
My Work in Black & White