Subject: RE: [Leica] Last weekends Wedding - 100% Leica
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:09:54 -0500

> Christopher,
>
> They may be scanned at 72 dpi, but the size of the scan is what
> matters. For
> all my wedding work the negs may be scanned at 72 dpi, but there
> are 14MBs of
> it, so when I convert it to 250dpi I find I have a print size of
> about 10x7".
> Their scanner will also scan at 25MB and 40MB. I think it will also scan
> around 7MB, but I don't use it. For my enlargements over 14x10 I
> scan the neg
> myself on a Polaroid ss4000.
>
> Thanks for the compliment
> Regards,
> Rob Heyman

Rob,

Let's back up a bit here.  If it scans at 72 SPI (Samples Per Inch) for a
35mm frame, you are getting a 72 x 108 pixel output from it, so that is not
possibly what is happening.

Are you scanning film or prints?  If it is scanning film, and you are
getting a 14M byte image file from it, it is scanning at 14M / 3 = 4.6M
bytes/channel (assuming 8 bits/channel), which would give you around an 3000
SPI scan.

You are confusing the scan resolution with the FILE resolution, which are
obviously not the same in the case of the output from the Frontier.  When
you read the image into PhotoShop, what is the actual number of pixels in
the X and Y direction?  You can check this by going to "Image" and selecting
"Image Size"...and it'll list the "Pixel Dimensions" at the top, in "Width"
and "Height".

Austin

Replies: Reply from Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Last weekends Wedding - 100% Leica)