Subject: Re: [Leica] Last weekends Wedding - 100% Leica
From: Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:33:32 +1000

Sorry Austin,

I did not explain myself very well.
The scans are 14MB files from a 35mm film. When the image from the CD is opened
in Photoshop they are at 72dpi. 37.986 x 25.413 inches. Or 2735x1830 pixels. I
have an action that converts to 250 dpi without resampling. This gives me a
10x7" approx.

I apologise for the incorrect terminology. Hope the bike you got off wasn't a
big one. :-)

Rob

Austin Franklin wrote:

> > Christopher,
> >
> > They may be scanned at 72 dpi, but the size of the scan is what
> > matters. For
> > all my wedding work the negs may be scanned at 72 dpi, but there
> > are 14MBs of
> > it, so when I convert it to 250dpi I find I have a print size of
> > about 10x7".
> > Their scanner will also scan at 25MB and 40MB. I think it will also scan
> > around 7MB, but I don't use it. For my enlargements over 14x10 I
> > scan the neg
> > myself on a Polaroid ss4000.
> >
> > Thanks for the compliment
> > Regards,
> > Rob Heyman
>
> Rob,
>
> Let's back up a bit here.  If it scans at 72 SPI (Samples Per Inch) for a
> 35mm frame, you are getting a 72 x 108 pixel output from it, so that is not
> possibly what is happening.
>
> Are you scanning film or prints?  If it is scanning film, and you are
> getting a 14M byte image file from it, it is scanning at 14M / 3 = 4.6M
> bytes/channel (assuming 8 bits/channel), which would give you around an 3000
> SPI scan.
>
> You are confusing the scan resolution with the FILE resolution, which are
> obviously not the same in the case of the output from the Frontier.  When
> you read the image into PhotoShop, what is the actual number of pixels in
> the X and Y direction?  You can check this by going to "Image" and selecting
> "Image Size"...and it'll list the "Pixel Dimensions" at the top, in "Width"
> and "Height".
>
> Austin
>
> --

Rob Heyman M.Photog