Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Lenswork Magazine
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 01:29:24 -0500

It's so easy to chase one's tail about these semantics. I don't know what
Lange meant by that phrase. Her own work is engaged - that is, she often
interacted with the people she depicted. She was engaged in the sense that
her work was informed by a social philosophy, a progressivism that she
hoped photography could promote. She was an informed observer. (From what I
know of her - haven't yet delved deeply into her career.) Her style was up
close and personal in a way that Evans, for one, was not. (Yet not pat and
didactic, like Bourke-White could be.) Very different styles, personalities
and artistic concepts. They were both engaged and observant, both cared
about what and who they were depicting. Both craftsmen, both artists.

The photographer can come from all points on the engagement/observational
stylistic spectrum and still do effective work, whether effectiveness is
measured by touching an audience's sensibilities, influencing political
decisions and/or creating enigmatic artistic statements.  We can see an
engaged sensibility from the observer standing back with a telephoto. We
can see meaningless sensationalism from the guy with a 21mm in the middle
of the fray. It's the intelligence and intention behind the camera that
makes the difference, not the mode of working. Maybe call it editorial
judgement, during or after the fact.

I bet Ms. Lange was being purposely vague, and like someone suggested,
kindly toward an unformed talent, like a Zen master offering a thought
provoking phrase that would challenge the novice to find a personal meaning
that would inform his work. Gibson found a meaning. Maybe he is saying that
what he chooses to photograph determines how he depicts that subject, that
the how has become reactive with no preconception. "While I never know
(w)that the picture is going to be before I start, I do know where to
look," and exactly what happens just happens. And we see that alchemy
beneath the surface and our imaginations depart from that point? Or, by
being so engaged, the subject is a point from which Gibson's eye departs?

That could as easily argue for the engagement theory, though not in the
sense of the photographer's intervention. I guess I come down on the side
of observation as paramount. It's the subject that engages the
photographer's prepared sensitivity. A fine sense of graphic design or
situational intuition or empathy for the subject - none of it happens
without thought, reflection, observation. However engaged a style you wish
to have, if it doesn't come from some sort of informed sensibility or
intention, conscious in the moment or not, Gibson not withstanding, it
can't achieve artistic truth (integrity). And that's the only truth
photography can muster.

Being windy again,

Carl